[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
BARFORD (GREAT), a parish in the hundred of BARFORD, county of BEDFORD, 6 miles (E. N. E.) from Bedford containing 635 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, united to that of Roxton, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the King's books at £9. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The navigable river Ouse, here crossed by a bridge, runs along the south-eastern border of the parish.
Return to Places page
Last Updated on: 26 March 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.