Bedfordshire.gif - 13831 Bytes

Houghton Regis

[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]

HOUGHTON-REGIS, a parish in the hundred of MANSHEAD, county of BEDFORD, 1 Mile (N.) from Dunstable, containing 1283 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Licoln, rated in the king's books at 11.3.4. The Duke of Bedford was patron in 1819. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains an ancient monument, with the statue of a man in armour beneath a highly decorated arch, in the early style of English architecture. A free school was founded and endowed, in 1654, by Thomas Whitehead, with an estate and 250, for the education of twenty poor children; the annual income is 50, and sixteen boys are instructed. This place, as its name imports, was anciently held in royal demesne.

Return to Places page


Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 26 March 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.