[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
GRAVENHURST (LOWER), a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, 3 miles (E.) from Silsoe, containing 63 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £7.12.11., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was built by Robert de Bilhemore, whose armorial bearings are displayed on the porch, and to whose memory there is a tomb without date.
Return to Places page
Last Updated on: 19 April 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.