Bedfordshire.gif - 13831 Bytes

Salford

[Extrcts from Kelly's Directory Bedfordshire 1898]

SALFORD is a Parish and village on the Buckinghamshire border, 2¼ miles north-west from Ridgmont and 2 miles west from Woburn Sands stations on the Bedford and Bletchley branch of the North Western railway, 12 south-west from Bedford, 5 north from Woburn and 53½ from London, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Manshead, petty sessional division and union of Woburn, county court district of Leighton Buzzard, rural deanery of Fleete, archdeaconry of Bedford and diocese of Ely.

The church of St. Mary, restored in 1867, under the direction of Mr. W. White, is an edifice of interesting character, in the Early Decorated style, with traces of 11th century work, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and an open western belfry of oak, placed outside the church and containing 3 bells: the former tower, a modern brick structure, was removed on the repair of the church: the nave is divided from the aisle by an arcade of four curious piers of Early character: in the south aisle is a piscina, and a flat recessed arch, richly cusped and crocketed, within which, on a low altar-tomb, is the recumbent effigy, cross-legged, of a warrior: there is also a large coped altar-tomb, the top of which is incised with a cross; a third and very similar tomb, with a flat top, bears thereon also across with pendent shield : there is a brass, with effigies, to John Peddar, 1505, his wife Alice, and 12 children : several Early stone coffins have been found: there are sittings for 180 persons. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1558; marriages, 1561.

The Wesleyan chapel here was erected in 1814.

The soil is gravel and loam; subsoil gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley, beans and pens. The area is 871 acres ; rateable value, £919; the population in 1891 was 178.


The Interior of St. Mary's Church
Photographs Copyright © Martin Edwards - 2001

TheLych Gate to St. Mary's Church from inside the graveyard

The Exterior of St. Mary's Church

Return to Places page


Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 20 August 2001
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.