[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
SUNDON, a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, 4¾ miles (N.W. by N.) from Luton, containing 387 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £8. 6. 8., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of J. R. Cuthbert, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is partly in the decorated style of architecture. A market and fair, formerly held by royal grant in 1316, have been long disused.
Return to Places page
Updated on: 17 March 2001
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.