[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
TEMPSFORD, a parish in the hundred of BIGGLESWADE, county of BEDFORD, 6½ miles (N.N.W.) from Biggleswade, containing 577 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the kings's books at £24, and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The village is situated on the river Ivel, which is navigable through the parish, and falls into the Ouse as it passes along the western boundary. This is a place of great antiquity; it was occupied by the Danes before 921, when they were expelled by the Saxons, but they returned in 1010, and reduced it to ashes.
Tempsford, St Peter
Return to Places page
Last Updated on: 26 March 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.