[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
TILSWORTH, a parish in the hundred of MANSHEAD, county of BEDFORD, 3½ miles (N.W. by W.) from Dunstable, containing 246 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £8, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir G. O. Page Turner, Bart. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains several old monuments of the Fowler family, one to the memory of Sir Henry Chester, K.B., and an ancient altar-tomb, with an inscription in French, and the effigy of Adam de Tullesworth, in sacerdotal robes.
Return to Places page
Updated on: 17 March 2001
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.