Bedfordshire.gif - 13831 Bytes

Willington

[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]

WILLINGTON, a parish in the hundred of WIXAMTREE, county of BEDFORD, 4 miles (S.) from Bedford, containing 286 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king’s books at £7. 17., and in the patronage of the Duke of Bedford. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is principally in the later style of English architecture, and contains some old monuments to the Gostwicke family. The navigable river Ouse bounds the parish on the north.

Above: The Stables and Below: The Dovecote at Willington
Photographs Copyright © Martin Edwards 2001

Return to Places page


Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 1 April 2001
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.