Bedfordshire.gif - 13831 Bytes

Wootton

[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]

WOOTTON, a parish in the hundred of REDBORNESTOKE, county of BEDFORD, 4 miles (S. W.) from Bedford, containing 944 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 13.6.8., and in the patronage of the Representatives of the late Sir P. Monoux, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, contains numerous monuments to the Monoux family. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists.


Pictures around Wootton

Wootton St. Mary

Wootton St. Mary
The church of St. Mary is a noble edifice, chiefly in the Decorated style, but with portions of Early English and Perpendicular work, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, porch and an embattled western tower, with spire, contnining 5 bells: the aisles have been lengthened westward in modern times, and the west window is stained: the chancel and aisles retain piscincæ, and the former is separated from the nave by an ancient screen of carved oak in the Perpendiculnr style, restored in 1896 at a cost of £70; the organ was presented by Miss Neale; the font, pulpit and other fittings are all modern : the church contains many tablets and inscribed slabs to the Monox or Monoux family, who in the 17th and 18th centuries resided at Wootton House, including memorials to six of the baronets, and one to Lieut. Monoux, killed in the Monmouth insurrection of 1685 ; there are also memorials to two former vicars of the 18th century: the porch, of finely carved oak, is a reproduction of the ancient porch: the church was thoroughly restored about 1860 by the Rev. F. Neale, then vicar, and the chancel rebuilt by the late Sir Coventry Payne bart: in 1890, a new east window was placed in the chancel to the infant son of Sir Philip Monoux Payne bart. The organ was restored and enlarged in 1898, the cost exceeding £170. The church will seat 250 persons. The registers date from the year 1562.
[Kelly's Directory - Bedfordshire - 1898]




Above and right: Plaques in St Mary Church

Cottage opposite Wootton St. Mary

Wootton War Memorial

Return to Places page


Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 27 October 2001
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.