The parish was formerly in Worcestershire, but now is in Gloucestershire.
In addition to the village of Blockley, the parish includes the hamlets of Aston Magna, Dorn, Draycott, and Paxford.
Blockley in 1791
Blockley is near the limits of Glocestershire, about-twenty three miles from Worcester, and contains several hamlets. Has two fairs yearly, viz. on the second Tuesday after Easter-day, and on old Michaelmas-day. There were anciently three chapels in the parish, though no vestiges of them remain at present. The church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, was rebuilt in 1727, having its first stone laid by the Right Hon. Sir John Rushout, Bart. Opposite the vicar's garden is a hill called the Parks, supposed to have been the park of the bishop of Worcester, who had a palace here, before the reformation. ----Principal inhabitants are, John and Henry Franklin, Thomas Peyton, Samuel Spilsbury, and ----- Wilkes, Silk-throwsters.
At Northwick is the stately residence of Sir John Rushout, Bart. The park is well stocked with deer, and hath a fine growth of timber thereon, particularly very large oak.
Peckford [sic], Aston, Draycot, Ditchford, and Dorn, are hamlets to Blockley — Dorn is supposed to have been a Roman station, many small coins having been found there: one of Carausius was lately in the possession of the Rev. Mr. Selwyn, the vicar. The hilly parts near Bourton on the Hill, and Camden, abound in stone quarries. Here are chalybeate springs strongly impregnated, some of a incrusting, and others of a petrifying, quality. A brook, which rises in Bourton Wood, flows in a serpentine course through the parish, and has several silk and corn mills thereon; the silk manufacture employs a number of hands, and meets with considerable success.
Also, please visit Allan Taylor's wonderful website.
It's full of resources about Blockley and other villages in the Cotswolds of England.
Webmaster of this site is Lucy McCoy.