Transcribed by Ann McClean from:
"The Mayors of England & Wales 1902"
Coronation Year, King Edward VII
(Compiled and Edited by F.A. Barnes)
Published by W.T. Price & Co, 19, Grand Parade, Brighton, England.
Mr Alderman George Kett, J.P., and Mrs George Kett
Mr Alderman George Kett, J.P., of Wymondham House, Cambridge, the eldest son of Mr George Kett, was born at Wymondham, Norfolk, in 1836, and educated at a private school in London; his parents removed to Cambridge in 1848; his ancestors have resided in Wymondham for upwards of four centuries, and in 22nd Edward IV., 1483, John Kett was a principal owner there; in 1549, Robert Kett, then Lord of the Manor, and his brother, William Kett, were principal cators in the rebellion of that time.
Mr George Kett first entered public life as a member of the Cambridge Board of Guardians in 1881; was elected on the Town Council for the Market Ward in 1882, and to the Aldermanic Bench in 1889; upon the establishment of the County Councils in 1888 was elected a member of that body for No. 10 District of the borough, but retired in 1898; made Justice of the Peace for the borough in 1890; was elected Mayor for the first time, 1891-92; re-elected in 1898-99, and for the third time unanimously, for 1901-02; he is one of the Governors of the Old Schools of the town; was elected a Land Tax Commissioner in 1896, and Commissioner for Income Tax; a Director of the University and Town Water Company; a South Level Commissioner; President of the Cambridge Conservative Club; People's Warden for St Paul's parish. On the occasion of his mayoralty in 1898 amongst other events he conferred the Honourary Freedom of the borough on Lord Kitchener on behalf of the Corporation. Since the death of his father in 1872 Mr Kett has been, and is, the senior partner in the firm of Rattee & Kett, ecclesiastical builders.
Cambridge first incorporated in 1118, and at one time governed by three authoritive bodies - the Corporation, Improvement Commissioners, and University Authorities, but in 1894 the sole power was vested in the Corporation, on which the University is represented by six councillors and 2 Aldermen.
Area of the borough, 3278 acres; population, 37,000; rateable value, £234,275.
Town Clerk, Mr J.E.L. Whitehead, M.A.
Alderman John Goward, J.P. & Mrs John Goward.
Alderman John Goward, J.P., Castle Lodge, Wisbech, son of the late Mr John Goward, was born at Wisbech, February 28th, 1831, and educated at the local Grammar School. Was until recently Postmaster of Wisbech, retiring upon reaching the age limit; he has been a member of the Corporation for twenty-eight years, and was Mayor in 1888-90, being appointed a third time as mayor for the Coronation year; was made a Justice of the Peace for the borough in 1891; is also a Governor of the Grammar School, a Charity Trustee, and a member of the School Board. Mr Goward married, in 1855, the daughter of the late Mr Abraham Catling, of Walsoken.
Wisbech is a very ancient town and was first incorporated in 1549; the Corporation is the Port and Harbour Authority, and possesses, in the harbour and navigation rights, valuable assets. Water and gas are supplied by private companies. The district has become noted of recent years for the development of the flower and bulb growing industry, for which it is by nature well suited.
Area of the borough, 6476 acres; population, 9808; rateable value, £40,812.
Town Clerk, Mr George Carrick.
Return to previous page
Last Updated on: 17 August
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.