Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Fred CRISP 1849-1905

Fred CRISP was born 1st January 1849 in Willingham, Cambs.. He died 9th November 1905 in Friern Barnet, London from acute nephritis and (1½ days) uraemic coma. He was buried 14th November 1905 in Friern Barnet Parish Church, London.

Fred Crisp is NOT the same Fred Crisp (Frederick A Crisp) who edited many books on genealogy including "The Family of Crispe". They were contemporaries. Fred Crisp had left home. The Windmill Pub, Church St.,Willingham, by the time of the 1861 Census (i.e. before the fire there)to become an apprentice in C. Arnott & Co, a business in St. Paul's Churchyard, London, finishing his apprenticeship in Southend. He came back to London with Messrs. Jeremiah Rotherham & Co of Shoreditch and shortly afterwards with Messrs. Goode & Gainsford .He then went to Cambridge with Mr Brown and Mr. Ballard; and subsequently to Mr.Tarns at Newington Causeway. He started business in a small way ,aided initially by his uncle, Mr Thoday of Cambridge.He came to Seven Sisters Rd in 1875 in partnership with Mr. Porter. He acquired no fewer than 26 shops, covering an acre of ground with a window frontage of 650 ft. and in 1894 Crisp & Co became one of the largest emporiums in London and he became " the man who made the Seven Sisters Road".The premises had electric lighting , inside and out in 1895. The company was turned into a limited company in about 1895 but shortly after the company ran into difficulties. He resigned in 1902 owing to ill health. The premises were sold in 1910 , the stock having been bought by Messrs. Jones Bros. of Holloway Rd.

His address on the Marriage Certificate (1874) was 71, Seven Sisters Rd. He lived later at The Chestnuts,Market Place, East Finchley and then at The White House, Friern Barnet ( next to The Orange Tree pub) where he lived for many years until shortly before his death. He was a benefactor of what is now Victoria Park, Finchley. The White House must have been part of the Bethune Park estate. ( A road was built after 1898 near the White House called Hemington Avenue - Hemington being his granny's maiden name and that of one of his sons).

FredCrispPhoto.jpg - 32097 Bytes

He owned Scotland Farm (where 100 men were employed in 1897) and View Farm at Dry Drayton, Cambs., where he had the Advowson of the church. He bought Histon Manor, Cambs. and the park in 1897 .He sold land in Girton in 1903 ( including Catch Hall,and Howe House Farm), and Moor Barns in Madingley to Trinity College, Cambridge in 1902-1903. View Farm was sold in 1905 and Scotland Farm in 1902. In 1896 he gave the money for the construction of Willingham Town Hall.

In 1901 he was Deputy Lieutenant and JP, Cambridgeshire and high sheriff of Cambs. and Hunts. (1898).

Fred Crisp was "of the White House New Southgate....and of Brooklands Longstanton in the county of Cambridge" in his Will (dated 23.9.1902, proved 9.2.1906). His brother-in-law Thomas Nicholls Castle was an Executor. He left nearly 96,000

Frederick Crisp was a person named in Banns at Swavesey on 6.10.1867 (OTP, bac). This is presumably another F Crisp.

Mr. Bolton was present at the funeral at Friern Barnet parish church ( near to The White House) where he is buried.

He was a member of the London Society of East Anglians and of the Royal Agricultural Society.

He was a farmer and stock breeder and at one time had 4000 acres under cultivation, and was famous for his shire horses ( some of which he sold to Queen Victoria and the future Edward VII) and cattle. His Grant of Arms (1898) was about to be destroyed in 1999 (it was thought to be the remains of a roll of wallpaper) during a house clearance and is now in the possession of his great grandson , Andrew Forman. Elizabeth Crisp (nee Coxford) was eldest daughter of Richard Coxford & Caroline Firth . See Birth Cert. (Registration District of St. Mary Magdalen, sub-district of Bermondsey)

An Emily L Coxford b 1858 at Borough, Surrey was a Schoolmistress at Little Wilbraham, Cambs in 1881. The name Emily - especially if the "L" was Lilian - could mean she was a sister . Lilian Emily Crisp was Elizabeth's daughter.

Elizabeth Crisp lived at Kingsbury, Harlesden, Willesden at some time between 1906 and 1912. She was at 36, Compton Rd., Winchmore Hill at 25.10.1912. [Note that the numbering of Compton Rd. is believed to have changed since then].

Elizabeth was "of 24 Compton Road, Winchmore Hill, Middx. at the time of Probate" (9.2.1906).


Contact

If you think you are related then the person to contact is Andrew Forman (email: Forman@royaloakyard.freeserve.co.uk)

Return to Main Index page page


Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 16 August 1999
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.