Cambridgeshire - Angelsey Abbey

Angelsey Abbey was a priory of Augustinians founded probably early in the 12th century. No documentary evidence exists earlier than 1212. The first known prior is mentioned in 1222, and from that time date the medieval remains which were incorporated first into a mansion of circa. 1600 and then into its restored and revised form of 1861 and then 1926 etc. The medieval building, which was always of two storeys, was probably originally subdivided, and may have included a hall for the prior or guests. The alterations of circa.1600 included the lowering of the upper floor and the insertion of new windows. The first Lord Fairhaven bought this old house in 1926 and made around it a garden on the grand scale, well suited to the flat Cambridgeshire landscape with its wide horizons and spacious sky-scapes. Anglesey Abbey is now a National Trust property, and is six miles north-east of Cambridge.

Aabbey1.jpg - 12849 Bytes

The house after 1929.
Aabbey2.jpg - 8848 Bytes
Chinese style temple in gardens

Follow the link to the
NationalTrust.gif - 16819 Bytes

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 20 January 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.