Cambridgeshire - Bassingbourn


This church is truly wonderful and worth a visit!!

Bassingbourn - Saints Peter and Paul

The church of SS. Peter and Paul, erected in the 14th century, is a building of stone and flint, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch of the 15th century and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells, cast by Miles Graye in 1650: in the church are monuments to the Nightingale and Turpin families, including two to Jeffrey Nightingale, ob. 1664, and to Edw. Nightingale, ob. 1723 : the church was restored in 1865, at a cost of about 3,000, to which sum the Dean and Chapter of Westminster contributed 300: the tower arch has been opened, a vestry formed in the tower and fitted up for the reception of the library of rare theological works partly bequeathed to this parish in 1717 by Sir Edward Nightingale, a former owner of Kneesworth, to which additions have been made by different vicars: the east window is a memorial to the Rev. F. H. Bishop M.A. a former vicar, and his two daughters, and was presented by his widow and three sons: the window at the east end of the lady chapel was erected by Mrs. Nunn in memory of her husband, Dr Thomas Nunn, and his sister Mary and two brothers, John and Edmund Nunn: there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558, and the churchwardens' accounts from 1498.

EDWARD NIGHTINGALE OF KNEESWORTH AND THE LIBRARY

This Library was Founded
& Erected by Edwd NIGHTINGALE
of Kneesworth, Esq:
Ann: Dom: 1717.

This Church was Entirely
Paved with Free Stone
at his Proper Cost & Charge,
These Together with the Clock
now in the Steeple,
and many other Benefactions
to this Church & Parish
were the Effects
of his Liberality to Them.

He died on ye 2d: Day of July 1723
& Lies Interred in ye East End
of ye South Isle
of this Church
in That Apartment Anciently
Known by ye Name
of our Lady's Chapel.
This inscription was Placed
here to his Memory
Ann: Dom: 1729.

The Library given
by Edward NIGHTINGALE esqr
referred to
in the adjoining tablet
was in accordance with
a faculty granted
by the CHANCELLOR of the Diocese of ELY
on the 28th July 1969 sold
part to the UNIVERSITY
of CAMBRIDGE
and part to
the UNIVERSITY of ESSEX
The books
are now housed
in the Libraries
of these Universities
and in each they occupy
a separate area
marked
BASSINGBOURN PARISH
CHURCH LIBRARY.

 

Rectors & Vicars of BASSINGBOURNE

A plaque exists on the wall of the church, behind the main entrance door which commemorates the Rectors and Vicars from 1294 to 1973. This is listed separately.

Special Monument in Graveyard

A very special monument exists in the graveyard in the form of a walled garden celebrating Sydney George 2nd Viscount Knutsford and his wife Mary of Kneesworth Hall. This has to be seen.

 

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 9 July 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.