Cambridgeshire - Bottisham

Lode Mill

Lode is the Old English name for watercourse in this case, a drain from the River Cam leading into the Fens called Bottisham Lode. This water mill, which still grinds corn, has been renovated in recent times and like most others in East Anglia occupies an ancient site. This area was once monastic land that of Anglesey, Pnory, later called 'Abbey' for reasons of prestige when it became a private house after the Dissolution. At various times it was owned by two distinguished Englishmen best summarised as 'Hobson the Choice' and 'Downing of the Street'. More recently it was owned by Lord Fairhaven, a wealthy patron of the arts who between 1926 and 1966 created a remarkable house and even more remarkable garden. It is now in the hands of the National Trust and is open to the public.

BLodeMill.jpg - 17568 Bytes
Lode Water Mill

Follow the link to the
NationalTrust.gif - 16819 Bytes

Bottisham Hall

Originally built in 1797 in white brick consisting of two and three storeys, with a hipped roof. In about 1840 a service wing was added.

The Grange, Bottisham

Originally built in 1838 as the vicarage in white brick, Tudor style.

 


BOTTISHAM, anciently "Bodekysham" an "Bottlesham," is a large village and parish on the road from Newmarket to Cambridge, 3 miles north-west from Six Mile Bottom station on the London and North Eastern railway and 2 miles south from Bottisham and Lode station on the Cambridge and Fordham section of the same line, 6 west from Newmarket and 7 east from Cambridge; it is the head of a petty sessions division and in the hundred of Staine, Newmarket union and county court district, rural deanery of Quy and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.

A cemetery of one acre has been formed at a cost of £243; it is under the control of the Parish Council.

The church of the Holy Trinity is a beautiful edifice of stone, chiefly in the Early Decorated style, consisting of chancel clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, north and south porches and western Galilee porch, and an embattle western tower with pinnacles and containing 5 bells: the chancel retains an Early English piscina an sedilia, and there is also an Early Decorated chancel arch, with a Perpendicular stone screen: on the south wall of the chancel is a marble tablet to the Rev William Pugh, vicar from 1812, dated 1825: the stained east window and the reredos are memorials to Col. Jenyns, one of the "Six Hundred" at Balaclava (October 25th, 1854), who died in 1873: at the east end of the north aisle is an oak screen, apparently of the Decorated period, which encloses two monuments one to Margaret, daughter of William Coningesbye of King's Lynn, and another, with effigies in marble and cherubs supporting a canopy, to Leonettus and Dorothea, children of William and Elizabeth Allington, ob. 1638: there is also an altar tomb of Purbeck marble, with the matrix of a brass effigy and canopy and panelled sides relieved by shields; the inscription on the margin, now lost, commemorated Elyas de Beckingham, appointed a justiciar of the Common Pleas, 15 Edward I. (1285); he retired from the bench, or died, in 1305; in 1289, when all the judges were apprehended by the king on charges of bribery and corruption, Beckingham and Metingham alone were honourably acquitted: in the same aisle is a marble tablet to Hester Paulina Lushington, d. 1795: the south aisle has an arcading along its whole length, inclosing a series of stone coffin slabs a screen similar to that on the north side incloses a large tomb of white marble to Sir Roger Jenyns, d. 1740, and Dame Elizabeth, his wife, d. 1728, with their effigies in bed attire; and near this tomb, against the south wall, is a plain marble tabblet to Soame Jenyns esq. M.P. and controversialist, and son of Sir Roger Jenyns, who died 18th Dec. 1787: on the south side is a beautiful piscina and a sedile: there are also slabs inscribed to Francis Hessel, d. 1659, and John Lack, d. 1742: the church was restored and warming apparatus fixed during the period 1875-91, and repairs to the fabric were made in 1928 at a cost of £500; there are about 350 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1561; marriages, 1563 ; burials, 1659.

There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1800, and having sittings for 230 persons.

In 1712 a destructive fire consumed 20 houses in the village, besides causing other damage, and an incendiary fire which occured on February 13th, 1846, destroyed the produce of two large farms, as well as fifteen cottages depriving twenty-four poor families of their homes. About £200 yearly, derived from several charities, is distributed in money and kind and for educational purposes: in 1878 the so-called "Poor's Fen", of nearly 200 acres, was for the first time brought under a trust and scheme formed by the Charity Commissioners produces a profit of nearly £130 yearly for the benefit of the poor, which is applied chiefly in the distribution of fuel. The Charity School has been converted into a reading room. The kennels of the Cambridgeshire Harriers are in this parish; Basil Briscoe esq. and Harry Leader esq.: are joint masters : the pack comprises fifteen couples of 18 to 20-inch terriers; hunting days, Wednesdays and Saturdays; Cambridge and Newmarket are convenient centres; Bottisham is the nearest station to the kennels. Bottisham Park contains about 200 acres and is well wooded: the mansion, a structure of brick, erected in 1797 when the old hall was pulled down, is the property and residence of Roger William Bulwer Jenyns esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor. Trinity, St. Peter's and Downing Colleges, Cambridge, and R. W. B. Jenyns esq. J.P. are the principal landowners."

The soil is loamy subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area of the parish is 2,854; acres the population in 1921 was 624.

LODE, formerly Bottisham Lode (which includes Long-meadow and Fen), was separated from Bottisham by an Order of the Local Government Board, in November, 1894, and formed into a civil parish. It is a village on the Cambridge and Newmarket road, with a station called Bottisham and Lode, on the Cambridge and Mildenhall line of the London and North Eastern railway, and is 6 miles east from Cambridge, 8 west from Newmarket and 63 from London, in the hundred of Staine, Bottisham petty sessional division, Newmarket union and county court district, rural deanery of Quy and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.

A cemetery of one acre has been formed at a cost of £243; it is under the control of the Parish Council.

The ecclesiastical parish of St. James was formed May 1, 1863; the church, erected and consecrated in 1853, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing a clock and 2 bells: during the period 1873-90 it was restored, redecorated and refitted, including in 1886-7 a new roof, provided at a cost of £200, the remaining work; including the erection of a reredos and several stained windows, the total expense amounting to over £600: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1863.

There is a Baptist chapel, built in 1832 and seating 400 persons. In the centre of the village is a cross of Cornish granite, erected in 1923 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18.

Here are the remains of the Priory of Anglesey, founded by Henry I or Richard de Clare for canons of the Augustinian order, and dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and St. Nicolas: at the dissolution there were 11 canons, and the revenues were estimated at £124: the remains consist of a vaulted room and graduated corbel table connected with a staircase; both are Early English. Anglesey Abbey is the property and residence of Lord Fairhaven. Roger W.B. Jenyns esq. J.P. is lord of the manor of Anglesey and Vauxes; Lord Fairhaven, Messrs. Thomas Webb and Samuel C. and Jonathan C. Fison are the principal landowners, and there are several smaller owners.

The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops arc wheat, barley and oats. The area of the parish (including Bottisham, Lode and Long Meadow) is 3,133 acres of land and inland water; the population in 1921 was 569.

[Extracts from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Note: The church at Bottisham has 6 bells. The original 5 bells were augmented to six in about 1974. At the same time the original treble was recast due to cracks. Supposedly the new bell came from Kirtling where it had been removed due to an unsafe tower.

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 22 October 2002
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.