Above: Cambridge St Peter - the trees and buildings make it difficult to obtain a good photograph
Photographs Copyright © Martin Edwards 2000
St Peter's Church
The parish of St. Peter, by a provisional order which came into operation on March 25th, 1885, was amalgamated with that of St. Giles. The church, on Castle hill, is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman, Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of nave, 29 feet long and 16 feet wide, and a small embattled tower with spire containing one bell, cast at the foundry pf Peter van den Gheyn, of Louvain, in 1560 : the entrance is on the south side through a Norman doorway, and there is an early and curious font, consisting of a square basin, carved on a low, moulded circular base. The registers, which date from 1586, are kept at St. Giles's church. The living is a vicarage annexed to that of St. Giles."
[Kelly's Directory- Cambridgeshire - 1929].
Return to Locations
and Buildings page
Return to Locations and Buildings page
Last Updated on: 9 September
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.