St Peter's Church, Chatteris
The church of St. Peter is an ancient building of stone, in various styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with a low spire containing a clock and 5 bells: the chancel is divided from the body of the church by a handsome screen. The church was capable of seating 750. The church railings were later removed to make way for a First Wortld War memorial.
Return to Locations
and Buildings page
supplied by Joanne Hughes of her husband's Uncle's shop in Chatteris,
, Herbert W Near, circa 1912. His obituary states in part......"Mr. Near
came from Wisbech many years ago, having spent some time in South Africa.
He took over the business in Chatteris High Street as a draper and milliner,
and carried on there for 33 years." An old letter of condolence dated
18 Nov 1958 from Herbert indicates the address at that time was "The Poplars"
26 St. Martin's Rd., Chatteris. If you have any further information please
contact Joanne Hughes.
Return to Locations and Buildings page
Last Updated on: 2 August
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.