Cambridgeshire - Comberton

"COMBERTON is a parish, bounded on the south by the Bourn brook, about 2 miles north-west from Lord's Bridge station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London and North Western railway, and 5-and-a-half west-south-west from Cambridge, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Wetherly, union of Chesterton, Cambridge petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely."

"The soil is heavy clay; subsoil, chalk and gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,954 acres; rateable value, 1,844; the population in 1891 was 453."

[Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]


Village sign and pond

Photographs Copyright © Martin Edwards 2000


St Mary

"The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone in the Early English and later styles, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells: the chancel arch and south arcade of the nave are Early English, the north aisle and clerestory Perpendicular and the tower Decorated; the interior is seated with open benches, elaborately carved with tracery; the rood stairs and doorway remain and there is an octagonal Early English font; the church was repaired in 1850 and restored in 1877-8 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and has since been further restored in 1884-5; the total cost amounting to 981: there are 300 sittings, 240 being free. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1564; marriages, 1560; burials, 1561."

[Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire - 1900]

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 3 May 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.