Cambridgeshire - Croxton

Croxton St James

"The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: there are several monuments to the Leeds and Newton families: affixed to the north door is wooden carving, in very bold relief, of the Virgin and child: the north porch was erected in 1907 by the Misses C. and F. Cochrane as a memorial to their father: numerous carved stones, found when the buttress was removed, were built into the porch: in 1921 a handsome rood screen was erected in memory of Capt. Aubrey Charles Hill: the church affords 200 sittings, of which half are free. In the churchyard is a cross, erected in 1920 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The register dates from the year 1535."

[Extract from Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

.

"CROXTON is a parish on the Huntingdonshire border, about 4 miles east from St. Neots station on the main line of the London and North Eastern railway and 13 west from Cambridge. in the hundred of Longstowe petty sessional division of Caxton, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of St. Neots, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely."

"Croxton Park contains a large mansion of red brick, situated near the church, in well-wooded grounds of about 400 acres, with a small lake, and is the seat of Sir (George) Douglas Cochrane Newton K.D.E., M.P., D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is stiff clay ; subsoil, gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans and barley. The area is 1,904 acres of land and 5 of water; the population in 1921 was 234."

[Extracts from Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]

Return to Locations and Buildings page


Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 22 May 2000 17 May, 2007
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.