"The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, north porch and a western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: the north aisle was added and the whole fabric restored in 1859, a the ancient tower in 1874, at a cost of £200: the stained east window is a memorial to the Rev. Samuel Smith D.D. dean of Christ Church, Oxford, prebendary of Durham and formerly rector here 1831-41, and has in a lunette at the bottom a kneeling figure of the rector in surplice and hood: the organ, erected in 1881, was rebuilt in 1928 : near the west end are two windows of the Decorated period, with transoms, and the south doorway is of the same date : there are 200 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1564; marriages, 1565."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Return to Locations
and Buildings page
Return to Locations and Buildings page
Last Updated on: 6 January
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.