Cambridgeshire - East Hatley

St Denis

"The church of St. Denis is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north and south porches and a western tower containing one bell: the chancel dates from 1260 and the nave from 1200: in 1874 the fabric was restored, new roofed and re-floored, open benches introduced and three stained windows erected, at a cost of 1,738: there are some memorials to the Castell family, the former owners of the estate, including an altar tomb to Mrs. Constance Castell, ob. 1610, and a tablet to the Rev. W. Cray Say, a former rector, d. 1751: the church affords 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1678."
[Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire - 1929]

EastHatleyChurch.jpg - 7916 Bytes

St Denis - East Hatley

Photograph Copyright © Martin Edwards 2000


Sadly St. Denis is now inaccessible having fallen into disrepair and being of dangerous structure. The church and the one time graveyard are now a wildlife sanctuary as can be seen from the photograph.

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 11 June 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.