Foxton - St Lawrence
The church of St. Lawrence is an ancient edifice of flint in the Early English, Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 very fine toned bells, made by Miles Graye in 1654 the eastern triplet is a very beautiful specimen of Early English work, and the other windows retain some fragments of good 14th century glass: there is a large double piscina in the chancel and opposite it a singular recess like a sedile: the rood staircase is in perfect condition: in the north aisle are two Decorated brackets, and in the south aisle a piscina: the font is of very early date: in the latter part of the 14th century the church possessed the privilege of sanctuary: it was restored in 1881, at a cost of £3,000, and has 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1671.
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Return to Locations
and Buildings page
Return to Locations and Buildings page
Last Updated on: 8 October
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.