Beetle-browed, reed-thatched houses line the streets of Fulbourn, which also has a trim line of single-storey almshouses, a timber-framed farm- house and a basically 13th to 14th-century church dedicated to St Vigor. The Normans brought the name of the saint to England Vigor was the Bishop of Bayeux in the 6th century - and Fulbourn's church is one of only two in England dedicated to him.

The church of St. Vigor is a building of stone, chiefly in the Decorated style, but with some Early English and Perpendicular features, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, south transept or chantry, south porch opening eastward, with parvise, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells.

FulbournChurch.jpg - 20584 Bytes
St. Vigor Church - Fulbourn

In the chantry is a high tomb, with two recumbent figures of clunch stone, probably representing Edward Wood esq. and his lady, died 1633, and there is also a tablet to Tyrrell Dalton, died 1682. On the north side of the chancel, under a septfoiled arch, and within a wooden shrine of six compartments, is an emaciated recumbent effigy of John Careway, a former rector of St. Vigor's, who died in 1443. The church has several fine brasses, including one of the earliest known, it is a large brass, with effigy in cope, a life-size figure, under a canopy, to William de Fulbourn, chaplain to Edward III. and formerly canon of St. Paul's Cathedral, died 1390 who was rector from 1377 to 1386 and was chaplain to Edward III. In the chancel there are several other brasses, including one of a priest, circa 1520, and fixed against the wall in the north aisle are kneeling effigies of a lady and two children. The tower and the north arcade of the nave are Early English, dating from about 1280, the south arcade is in a very good Decorated style and the windows are chiefly Decorated and Perpendicular styles. On the north side of the chancel is a curious irregular cusped arch, forming a sedile. The pulpit, of carved oak, dates from about 1330, and is enriched with crocketing and quaint figures in the spandrils. The nave is seated with fine open benches, the ends being panelled and finished with poppy heads. In 1887 the beautiful Early Perpendicular east window of five lights was filled with stained glass, and in the south transept is a memorial window to Richard Greaves Townley, who died at Peking 30th Nov. 1888. There are also several memorial tablets to members of theTownley family:

To the east of the village is Fleam Dyke, a massive 7th-century earthwork built to defend East Anglia against the Mercians. South-west- wards are the Gog Magog Hills - about 250 ft above sea-level - which give fine views over the city of Cambridge.

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 20 January 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.