Cambridgeshire - Girton St Andrew

Girton St. Andrew

"The church of St. Andrew is a building of rubble and stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 4 bells: there are piscinæ in the chancel and south aisle: the south porch has a parvise of later date and a turret with door at the south-west angle the tower is a heavy structure carried on three arches with a polygonal tower reaching half way up on the southern face: there are brasses in the church to former rectors, with effigies in processional vestments, dated respectively 1497 and 1492: the church was restored in 1853 and the chancel decorated about 1899: through the bequest of Miss Coombe, the daughter of a former rector, the church was completely restored and a new organ installed in 1926-7, at 5 cost of 2,000: there are 210 sittings. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1629; marriages, 1630. A memorial of Portland stone in the churchyard bears the names of the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18."

"There is a Baptist chapel here."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

.

GirtonChurch.jpg - 11185 Bytes
GirtonChurch2.jpg - 4429 Bytes

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 19 February 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.