GRANTCHESTER, in Domesday 'Grantesete' and 'Grauntsethe,' and supposed by some to be the 'Grantaceaster' of Bede, is a parish and village, pleasantly situated on the west bank of the river Cam or Granta, 2½ miles south-west from Cambridge town, 3½ south-west from Cambridge railway station, in the Western division of the county, Wetherley hundred, Chesterton union, Cambridge petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The Bourn Brook, which separates this parish from Haslingfield, here joins the Cam, which separates the parish from Trumpington.
The soil is for the most part clayey; subsoil, clay and in some parts gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans and barley. The area is 1,380 acres of land and 11 of water; the in 1921 was 489 in the civil parish and also in the ecclesiastical parish.
In 1912, by Local Government Board Cambridge (Extension) Order, 1911, an area of 167 acres from this parish was added to the borough of Cambridge far civil purposes.
[Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
Return to Locations and Buildings page
Last Updated on: 21 May
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.