Cambridgeshire - Graveley

Graveley St. Botolph

The church of St. Botolph is an ancient building, consisting of chancel and nave, north porch and a low embattled western tower containing 4 bells: in 1910 the tower was underpinned and restored and the bells rehung in new frames: the chancel was rebuilt of red brick about the middle of the 18th century: the nave, which is late Early English, and the tower are constructed of rubble with stone dressings: the church was considerably repaired in 1874-6, and again in 1888, at a total cost of about 1,000, and affords 150 sittings. The churchyard was enlarged in 1913 The register dates from the year 1642.

Left: This strange looking building, to the left, is a shelter in Graveley.

Photographs Copyright © Mandy Manning 2000

Above: A picture of the church 1748.

Left: The stained glass window.

Above: In 1910 the tower was underpinned and restored and the bells rehung in new frames. These appear to be the clappers from the bells and the legend above reads:
1624-1910
OUR WORK IS DONE AT REST WE LIE
SO MAY YE SAY WHEN DEATH IS NIGH.

Left: Memorial to Revd. Henry Trotter. B.D. Rector of this parish 43 years. Died 2nd June 1766. Aged 76. Originally from Shelton Castle, Yorkshire.

Right: Memorial to Revd. William Wicksteed, sucessor to the above, 29 years Rector who died 17th Nov 1795 aged 77.

Left & Right: Memorial which stands outside a farm at Graveley commemorating the airfield that is ploughed fields from where
8 Group Bomber Command flew.

Click on either photograph to expand.

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 24 July 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.