Cambridgeshire - Hardwick

"HARDWICKE is a parish, 5 miles north-by-west from Lord's Bridge station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway and 6 west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Longstowe, union and petty sessional division of Caxton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely."

"The soil is stiff clay subsoil, gault. The crops are wheat, barley and beans and a considerable quantity of pasture land. The area is 1,390 acres; the population in 1921 was 149."

[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]


Village sign

Photographs Copyright © Martin Edwards 2000

St Mary through the lych gate

"The church of St. Mary is an ancient edifice of stone in the Decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower with spire containing 3 bells: the chance! retains a piscina, and the stairs to the rood loft also remain: in the chancel is a memorial window to the Rev. James Smith Brown M.A. 22 years rector of the parish, 1870-92: there are 152 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1564."

[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]


St Mary from the churchyard

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 3 May 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.