Cambridgeshire - Hatley St. George

St George's Church

"The church of St. George, built in 1352 and standing in Hatley park, is an edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave and a lofty embattled western tower, rebuilt in 1625, and containing 2 bells : there are memorials of the family of St. George, baronets, including a brass with effigy in armour to Sir Baldwin St. George, who died in 1425 the church was restored by the late John Carbery Evans esq. J.P. and re-opened in 1878, and affords 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1569."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

In the early 1970's the end of the church fell into disrepair and was reduced by one-third. The window seen here in the photograph was removed from the old section which was demolished and installed into the new end of the church.

HatleyStGeorgeChurch.JPG - 24113 Bytes

Hatley St. George Church

Photograph Copyright © Martin Edwards 2000

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 11 June 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.