Photograph Copyright © Martin Edwards 2000
Hildersham Holy Trinity
The church of the Holy Trinity is a building of rubble, chiefly in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south chantry, south porch and a western tower of Early English date containing 3 bells, presented to the church by the sisters of the rector: in the chantry are two oaken effigies of Sir William Busteler and his wife, and some fine brasses to their descendants, Robert de Paris, of Caermarthen, ob. 1379, and his widow Alianora, with kneeling effigies beside a floriated cross; and to Henry Paris esq. ob. 1456, with effigy in full armour under a mutilated canopy ; there is also a small brass with knightly effigy in plate armour to Henry Paris, ob 1427, and a skeleton figure in shroud, circa 1530: the tower and sacristy date from the 12th century, and the former contains an ancient ladder; there is an early octagonal font: the stained east window is a memorial to the late Rev. Charles Goodwin M.A. rector from 1806, and patron, and Sarah his wife: in the north and south aisles are four fine stained windows of the 14th century, and there are others inserted in 1885, and also containing fragments of glass of ancient date: the reredos of alabaster, executed from a design by Mr C. A. Buckler, architect, was a memorial gift to the church: the nave and chancel were new roofed in 1878, and the church was repaired in 1890, under the direction of Messrs. Buckler, architects, of Oxford, the total cost amounting to over £2,000. there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559.
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929].
Return to Locations
and Buildings page
Return to Locations and Buildings page
Last Updated on: 6 August
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.