"HINXTON is a village and parish on the borders of Essex, and 2 miles from either Great Chesterford or Whittlesford stations on the London and Cambridge section of the London and North Eastern railway, 5 north from Saffron Walden, 6 south-west from Linton and 9 south from Cambridge, in the hundred of Whittlesford, petty seasional division and union of Linton, county court district of Saffron Walden, rural deanery of Camps, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely."
"Hinxton Hall, the property of the trustees of the late Robert Bertram Wilkinson esq. lords of the manor and the principal landowners, is a plain mansion of red brick; it is now the residence of Charles Laurence Pemberton Robinson seq. The soil is light, with a subsoil of gravel and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area is 1,158 acres of land and 6 of water; the population in 1921 was 297. By a Local Governinent Board Order which came into operation March 25, 1886, a detached part of Ickleton was amalgamated with this parish."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
Return to Locations
and Buildings page
Return to Locations and Buildings page
Last Updated on: 8 October
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.