Cambridgeshire - Ickleton

There are traces of a fulling-mill at Ickleton, where cloth was thickened with 'fuller's earth'. It is one of two built in the village during the Middle Ages, when the wool trade flourished there The surviving foundations of the mill are near Frogge Hall, a 16th-century house which gets its name from the fact that frogs once infested the damp streets of the village. The oldest house in Ickleton, The Hovells, once belonged to a Cistercian monastery, and Abbey Farm stands on the site of a late-l2th-century Benedictine nunnery. A fishpond and fragments of the priory wall and an archway remain. Much of the property in the parish was in monastic hands until the Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII, and several houses take their names from their old owners. Caidrees Manor, from Calder Abbey in Cumbria; Durhams, from the Canons of Dereham in Norfolk; and Mowbrays, from the Mowbray Dukes of Norfolk who owned it before it passed to Clare College, Cambridge, in the 15th century. The poor of the parish were looked after by the Charity Commissioners at the Town Housen, a group of cottages which at one time incorporated a school. They date from the 17th century, except for one which was built about 1500.

The Romans had a military post at Great Chesterford, across the River Granta, and at Ickleton itself a Romano-British villa was excavated 1842. The Roman Icknield Way passes close by, and it is probable that the road and the village take their names from the ancient British Ice tribe, whose queen was Boudicca.

Evidence of the Roman occupation is present in Ickleton's parish church, which has Roman tiles in the stonework of its tower and Roman columns supporting Norman arches in the nave


Mowbrays, Farm, Ickleton

Farm In the early 14th century, Elizabeth de Burgh Lady of Clare. gave a farm at Ickleton as part of her endowment to University Hall, a failing Cambridge college. Soon afterwards the college became known as Clare Hall, in honour of its benefactor. A stone carved with the lady's coat of arms is set in the north wall of the farmhouse, Mowbrays, overlooking Ickleton churchyard.

IckletonFarm.jpg - 19744 Bytes

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 20 January 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.