Cambridgeshire - Longstowe
LONGSTOWE is a parish on the Huntingdonshire border of the county, half a mile west from Old North Road station on the Bedford and Cambridge branch of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, 10 north-east from Royston and 12 west from Cambridge, in the hundred of Longstowe, union and petty sessional division of Caxton, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The church of St Mary the Virgin is a building of brick faced with flint stone, built 1863-1864 on the site of the old church; it consists of chancel, nave, north chapel, south porch and a low embattled western tower containing one hell, and also a peal of six tubular bells presented in 1898 by Mrs. Rushton, to which two others were added in 1903 as a memorial to her: the original church was blown down in 1719, and the monuments to the Cage family which it contained are now in the chancel of the church. The small chapel on the north side was built by the late Captain Sidney Stanley : the stained east window, a memorial to John Sharp esq. of Manchester, and Dorothea his wife, was presented by their children in 1864; the west window was erected by Mrs. Rushton to her three brothers, and in 1904 a memorial window was erected to Mrs. Sharp: the church has 180 sittings. An oak lych gate was erected in 1896 by his widow as a memorial to the Rev. James Rushton M.A. rector here 1852-95. A beautiful rood was erected in 1920 as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The register dates from the year 1569.
Longstowe Hall is an ancient mansion purchased in Queen Elizabeth's reign by the Cage family, who rebuilt the house; it was acquired by W. A. Briscoe esg. J.F. in 1906: in 1907-12 new terraces and a courtyard were added and extensive interior alterations made: it stands in a park of about 175 acres, and has well laid out pleasure grounds; there are fish ponds in the park, which is well studded with timber besides having good plantations.
The soil is heavy clay; subsoil, strong clay. The chief crops are wheat and oats, and some land in pasture. The area is 1,544 acres the population in 1921 was 249.
[Extract's from Kelly's Directory Cambridgeshire 1929]
Above and Below: St. Mary the Virgin
Lych Gate Outside St. Mary the Virgin
inside is the Roll of Honour to
all the men of the village
who served in World War 1.
Found i n a local cemetery in Christchurch, New Zealand a grave of one William BRISCOE of Longstowe Hall. The grave is in excellent condition and information is:
Place of internment:
Bromley Cemetery, Christchurch, New Zealand
In loving memory of William Arthur Briscoe of Longstowe Hall, Cambridgeshire, England. Died 3 February 1934
'in they light shall we see light'
PS 36 v 9
'We look for a great foregathering on the steps of the throne of god'
Return to Locations
and Buildings page
Return to Locations and Buildings page
Last Updated on:
9 February, 2008
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.