Cambridgeshire - Orwell

St. Andrew

"The church of St. Andrew is a building of stone and flint, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: the chancel is Perpendicular and the nave Early English: in the chancel is an effigy of Dr. Jeremiah Radcliffe, one of the 47 translators of the Bible in 1608-11, buried here 4 March, 1611: the church was repaired in 1883, at a cost of 949, under the direction of Mr. William White. architect, of London, when the roof was renewed in oak, part of the old timber being re-incorporated; at the intersections of the ribs in the chancel is an interesting series of shields, bearing the arms of many of the principal county families painted in distemper, but the blazonry being almost obliterated was restored from a record preserved in a manuscript at Wimpole Hall: in 1918 a Roll of Honour, containing the names of the parishioners who fell in the Great War, 1914-18, was erected over the altar on the north side of the church: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1500."

[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]


Photograph © Copyright Ben Laurie 2000


Photographs © Copyright Susan Giddings 2001

For more information see Steve Odell's sites at:
Wimpole web site: www.wimpole.uk.com
Orwell web site: www.orwell.uk.com
Arrington web site: www.arrington.uk.com

ORWELL is a parish adjacent to a Roman road, 3 miles north-west from Shepreth station on the Hitchin, Royston and Cambridge line of the London and North Eastern railway, 8 south-west from Cambridge and about 7 north from Royston, in the hundred of Wetherley, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union of Caxton and Arrington, county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.

The soil is clayey and chalky, and the subsoil clay, gault and limestone. The crops are wheat, barley beans and fruit. The acreage is 2,083 ; the population in 1921 was 469.

[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]


Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 22 March 2001
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.