Lower Mill Shepreth early 20th century
"SHEPRETH is a parish, with a station on the Hitchin, Royston and Cambridge section of the London North Eastern railway, 5 miles north-east from Royston, 8 south-west from Cambridge and 50 from London by rail and 44 by road in the hundred or Wetherley, petty sessional division of Arrington and Melbourn, union and county court district of Royston, rural deanery of Barton end archdeaconry and diocese of Ely."
"Wimbish Manor is the residence of Mowbray Frederick Vivian James Arthur Webber esq. M.B.E., J.P. and Tyrrels, of William Nash-Woodham esq. In the parish are three manors. The trustees of the late Biscoe Hill Wortham esq. are lords of the manor of Shepreth; William and John Nash-Woodham esqrs. of Docwraies and Tyrrel manors; and these, with Henry W. Wells esq. impropriator of the great tithes, which belonged to the nuns of Chatteris, and the Cambridgeshire County Council are the chief landowners. The soil is chalky, clayey and gravelly; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat and barley; oats, beans and peas are also grown. The area is 1,318 acres; the population in 1921 was 449."
[Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
Return to Locations
and Buildings page
Return to Locations and Buildings page
Last Updated on: 8 October
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.