Cambridgeshire - Sutton


Windmill Lane Sutton c. 1920

This parish extends over an area of 7,850 acres; its population is nearly 2,000; amount or assessed property, £10,362. The dean and chapter of Ely are large proprietors. Many valuable ancient coins, large gold rings, and other antiquities have, at various times, been turned up by the plough in this parish. Sutton is an interesting village, situate six miles west from Ely, and commands, from its eminence, an extensive view of the surrounding country. It had anciently a market on Thursdays, granted in 1312, to the prior of Ely, together with a fair for 15 days on the feast of St. Lambert. The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a beautiful lofty gothic structure, built about 1370, in the time of Bishop Barnet. The Iiving was formerly consolidated with the rectory of Mepal, but is at present an independent vicarage in the deanery of Ely, rated in the Liber Regis at £10., and now returned at £2,000. nett per annum. The dean and chapter of Ely the patrons. This valuable living was formerly given by the late Bishop Sparke, to his son in law, the Rev. Henry Fardell (the bishop was a very affectionate parent, and was never suspected of neglecting the interests of his family). At the death of Mr. Henry Fardell the living fell into the bands of his brother, Dr. Fardell, and at his death, it was given to the present incumbent, the hon. and rev. C. Spencer, son in law of the late Henry Fardell. Thus Sutton has been blessed with the Fardells, and the Fardells have been blessed with Sutton!


[A BRIEF HISTORY OF ELY and neighbouring villages
in the Isle by J.H. Clements 1868]

 

The church of St. Andrew, erected about 1370, is a soacious building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and south porch of Norman date and a fine Perpendicular tower with 15 pinnacles and a connical spire and containing a clock and 6 bells : the entire fabric was restored in 1869, at a cost of £4,000, and affords 592 sittings : a fine stained east window was erected by his wife, family and friends to the memory of the Rev. the Hon. C. F. O. Spencer, for 33 years vicar of this prish, who died 1895: there is also another, erected in memory of his eldest daughter, by the family in 1901 : a new organ was provided in 1912, at a cost of £400. The register commences about 1558.

[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]


St Andrew's Parish Church c. 1920
 

High Street, Sutton c.1930

[Photographs courtesy of the Cambridgeshire Collection,
Central Library, Lion Yard, Cambridge]

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 22 October 2002
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.