Cambridgeshire - Swaffham Prior

St. Cyriac and St. Julitta

"The church of St. Cyriac and St. Julitta is a plain embattled structure of debased Gothic character, consisting of a small chancel, nave with three small and low transeptal chapels, and an ancient 15th century tower, terminating in an embattled polygon lantern and containing 6 bells: in 1878 a faculty was obtained for the demolition of the church, which has however, been left standing up to the present time. The registers date from the year 1559, there being separate registers for the two churches up to the 17th century, when the benefices were united by Act of Parliament."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]

Pencil sketch of
Swaffham Prior
St. Cyriac and St. Julitta

 

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 13 July 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.