Cambridgeshire - Toft Village


Methodist Church originally built in 1862

Toft is a sprawling village following the bends of the main road. At one end of the village, down a small lane can be found the church, some old cottages build in 1846 and a manor house. At the other end of the village is the Methodist Church originally built in 1862, extended with a Methodist School in 1940 and further extended in 1980. The village pump can still be seen on the green just up the road from the Methodist Church.

Toft Village Pump - 1273 Bytes
Village Pump

"The church of St. Andrew, beautifully situated, is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of large and handsome chancel, nave of five bays, aisles and south porch: the chancel retains a small piscina and two aumbries, and in the south aisle is a niche and another piscina: the tower fell in 1890 while being pulled down, and was rebuilt in 1894 at a cost of 600: the nave arcade and tower arch are good examples of Perpendicular work, and the nave has a magnificent roof, with ornamented tie beams: there are some ancient benches and a plain octagonal font: in the church are memorials to the family of Eversden of Eversden: it was thoroughly restored in 1863, and has 200 sittings: in 1899 the bells were rehung at the expense of the Rev. T. Orbell M.A. then rector: the organ is a memorial to parishioners who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: in 1906 all the windows were reglazed and the walls of the chancel richly painted. The register dates from the year 1539."

"There is a small Primitive Methodist chapel here, built in 1862."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]


Toft St Andrew from the road

Cottages next to the church built 1846

Photogrpahs Copright © Martin Edwards 2000

Toft St Andrew from the churchyard

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 4 April 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.