Cambridgeshire - Whaddon


Whaddon St Mary the Virgin

The church of St. Mary the Virgin, entirely rebuilt in the 14th century, is an edifice of stone and flint, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing a clock and 3 bells; the church retains an old oak screen and the ceiling is also of carved oak; on the chancel floor are several armorial slabs inscribed to Thomas Tempest, 1649; Elizabeth Pickering, 1694 Henry Pickering, 1705 ; and Grace Pickering, 1732; in the north aisle is a brass, bearing the names of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: a fine organ built by Snetzler, and enlarged by Walker of London, was presented to the church in 1857 by John Felix Beaumont esg.; the church was restored in 1869 at a cost of 2,300, and again in 1873 at a further cost of 500, and in 1894 the tower was restored and the upper part of it rebuilt at a cost of upwards of 500: the church affords 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1692.

Return to Locations and Buildings page

Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 9 July 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.