Cambridgeshire first belonged to Iberians, and afterwards to a British tribe called the Iceni, and being overrun by the Romans was by them included in the province of Flavia Cęsariensis. The Romans had a town or settlement at Cambridge. On the retreat of the Romans it was held by the Welsh, but when they were driven out it was settled by the same English Waring and Frisian clans as Norfolk and Suffolk, being most probably known as Westfolk. When the present kingdom of England was formed the land took the name Grantbridgeshire; in 870 it was wasted by the Danes, who destroyed Cambridge and the minsters of Ely, Soham and Thorney. In 875 the invaders again occupied the country, and obtained afterwards a permanent settlement amongst the East English; but in 921 an army of these settlers surrendered at Cambridge to King Edward I, surnamed the Elder. In 1010 a fresh swarm of Danes, under King Swain, again burned Cambridge. On the accession of William the Norman to the English kingdom, almost the only part of the land which resisted him was the Isle of Ely, where gallant Hereward held out for nearly seven years, until 1074, when he was overpowered.
Wandlebury Camp is an Iron Age fort on the Gog Magog Hills, five miles south-east of Cambridge. The fort was rebuilt by the Iceni tribe of ancient Britons. In 1956 an archaeological dig discovered the huge figure of an ancient goddess astride a strange beast; it was cut into the chalk.
In Anglo-Saxon times frontier defenses were built across Cambridgeshire, the Cambridge dykes, between Essex and East Anglia. These dykes were fragmented, the longest continuous stretch being the eight-mile Devil's Dyke. These barriers consisted of ramparts and ditches.
Under William the Conqueror the Normans built a castle at Cambridge in 1068, at Ely in 1069 and at Wisbech in 1072.
From the 13th Century many royal craftsmen began to figure by name in various accounts due to their specilisations. Master Nicholas de Andeli, working for King John, was in charge of the siege-engines at Cambridge Castle. Most siege engineers were carpenters by training, and it is carpenters who figure most prominently in the records. Accompanying the carpenters were the petrarius, mason or stonecutter; the quareator or quarryman; the mier or cementarius, who were stone masons; fossatores who worked on the moats and dry ditches, and the miners responsible for the vaults and rockwork of castles. The hurdatores made the 'hoardings' or projecting wooden archer-galleries. Piccartores were employed in demolishing hostile fortifications. The engineers were the highest paid, receiving daily wages, annual 'gifts' and sometimes lands; some had their own seals. This group of highly skilled specialists, directly attached to the king, sometimes moving about with him, sometimes detached for supervisory duties at a group of castles, were precursors of the royal engineers.
Shortly after 1569, the rebellion having been put down the great strongholds on the fringes of the English heartlands, which were still kept up under Elizabeth, served chiefly as prisons, for prisoners of state and recusants. This was the fate of Framlingham, of Wisbech in Cambridgeshire, an early Norman motte-and-bailey converted to Regency villa.
About 1643 the parliamentarians built forts or castles at isolated strategic points, to guard road junctions, river crossings and the like. At Earith, in Huntingdonshire, they built The Bulwark to guard the approaches to Ely.
The counties greatest mansion is Wimpole Hall is situated 8 miles south-west of Cambridge. It was built by Sir Thomas Chichele around 1640 but was considerably altered in the 18th century.
The town was an important centre long before the university. Its site marked the upper limit of navigability of the river Cam or Granta (the Roman name for the town). It was also a fording point for the Romans on their travels north.
This typical fenland village has two churches in one churchyard, the curious result of parish amalgamation in the 17th century. One church is derelict, the other beautifully kept.
Situated three miles beyond Swaffham Prior Anglesey Abbey is a 13th century Augustinian foundation which was incorporated into a country house in the 17th century.
Wisbech is a market town which has existed since Roman times. The centre was rebuilt in Georgian times on a medieval plan. Peckover House was built in 1723 on the North Brink.
Last Updated on: 23 January 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.