Extract from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1908
(kindly transcribed by Fiona Davis)
WIMBLINGTON (formerly a hamlet of Doddington) is now a parish on the road from Chatteris to March, with a station three quarters of a mile south on the Wisbech and St. Ives branch of the Great Eastern Railway and four miles south from March, in the Northern division of the county, hundred of North Witchford, Isle of Ely, union of North Witchford, petty sessional division and county court district of March, rural deanery of March and in the peculiar archidiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely. The church of St. Peter, built in 1874 at a cost of £4,000 and consecrated 15 May in that year, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an eastern tower with spire containing a clock and one bell: a stained eastern window was erected in 1902 as a memorial to Capt. Arthur Joseph Hill, East Surrey Regiment, and there are others to Lily Fisher and Emily, wife of the Rev. Joseph Hill B.A. rector here 1874-1904: there are 350 sittings. The register dates from the year 1874. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £1, 320, with 7 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Mrs Robert Hill, of Bale rectory, Norfolk, and held since 1904 by the Rev. Robert Bertram Hill M.A. of Selwyn College, Cambridge. There are two Wesleyan Methodist chapels, one at Stonea and the other in the village, and a Primitive Methodist chapel at Hook. About 1714, Thomas Eaton bequeathed certain lands in the parish for the purpose of providing education for 40 children. The proceeds arising from this property are now devoted to secondary education. At Stonea Grange, a short distance from the village, there was once a Roman station, traces of which still remain, and on the site of which coins have been frequently found: it has been considered by some antiquaries as originally formed by the early inhabitants for the purpose of enclosing their cattle during the winter time, and afterwards to have been occupied as a military encampment. An old cannon ball found here, weighing 24lbs, is in the possession of William Bellamy esq. The principal landowners are Lieut-Col. Sir Algernon Francis Peyton, of Swift’s House, Bicester, Oxon, who is lord of the manor, William Bellamy esq., William Bridges Blunt esq. Of Whittlesea, Peterborough, and James Morton of Hook. The soil is clay; subsoil, clay and rich fen-land. The chief crops are potatoes, wheat, oats and barley. The area is 7, 727 acres of land and 35 of water; the population in 1901 was 1, 135.
STONEA, in this parish, has a station on the Great Eastern line from Ely to Peterborough.
Sexton, Robert Hutchinson.
Post & M.O.O.S.B. & A & I. Office
Joseph Reynolds, sub-master.
Letters through March are delivered at 7 a.m. & 12.45p.m.; dispatched at 10.10a.m. and 9.20 p.m. Doddington is the nearest telegraph office, 2 miles distant; telegrams received and taken at railway station, but not delivered.
Public Elementary Schools
Taken over by County Council July 1st 1903
Under local control of six managers, four appointed by County Council and two by Parish Council; meet first Monday in every month: C.P. Burling, March, correspondent: William Henry Yorke, Doddington, attendance officer.
Wimblington, founded originally in 1714 by a bequest of Mr Thomas Eaton, who left for this purpose property to the value of £120: the school will hold 160 children; average attendance 133; Ernest Ellen, master; Miss Sarah Hamps, infants’ mistress.
Stonea, built in 1882 at a cost of, with site, about £500, for 60 children: average attendance 50: the school was opened April 16th 1883; Mrs Fred Hudson, mistress.
Wimblington, Watling Bethany, station master.
Stonea, James Carter, station master.
Hill Rev. Robert Bertram M.A. (rector), The Rectory
Arnold, John, farm bailiff to William Richardson esq. Nicks Hill Farm
Bellamy Wm, farmer & landowner
Bird Charles, farmer & fruit grower, Stonea
Blunt John, farmer
Bradshaw Thomas, beer retailer
Bradshaw William, butcher
Broker Arthur William, assistant overseer, highway surveyor & inspector of nuisances in North Witchford Rural District Council
Christmas Thomas, farmer
Clarke Henry, farmer, Stonebridge
Clarke John Albert, farmer
Cooke Jacob, farmer, Gray Farm
Cranfield John & Arthur, farmers
Cutteridge William & John, cattle & horse dealers
Darwood Mark, farmer
Davidson George, beer retailer
Dunham Brothers, farmers
Dunham Charles, farmer
Dunham John, Golden Lion P.H. Stonea
Emson Samuel, beer retailer
England Ephraim, farmer
Fisher Geo. Shopkeeper, Eastwood End
Fisher William, farmer, Boot’s Bridge
Fuller Thomas, Cock P.H.
Goose Samuel, The Chequers P.H.
Gorham Wm & Sons, farmers Honey Farm
Graves William, farmer
Griffin Albert, farmer
Griffin John, farmer
Gunton William, farmer, Hook
Hassock William, beer retailer
Hicks John, beer ret. & cottage farmer
Holland John, farmer, Rookery Farm
Hudson, Robert, cycle agent
Hudson William, blacksmith
Hutchinson William, wheelwright & blacksmith
Jackson Frederick, farmer, Five Hundred Farm
Jones Joseph, farmer, Hook
Kisbey Charles, farmer, Stitches Farm
Larham Charles, farmer, Stitches Farm
Laws George, farmer
Morley Fred, Bell P.H.
Morris Ebenezer, farmer, Stonea
Morris Marshall, farmer, Stonea
Morton Herbert, farmer, Stonea
Morton James, farmer & landowner, Hook
Morton Joseph, farmer
Neville Edward, farmer
Neville Edwin, assessor of poor rates and collector of King’s taxes
Norman Joseph jun., Anchor P.H.
Norman Joseph sen., farmer
Ogden Tom P., farmer
Parkinson George, farmer
Parkinson Henry John, beer retailer
Peacock Arthur, farmer, Latches Fen Farm
Piggott Ingle Thos. Grocer & baker
Redhead Charles, farmer
Redhead Henry, farmer, Manor House
Reynolds Joseph, Post Office grocer, draper & butcher
Richardson William, farmer
Seaman Fred William, beer retailer & wheelwright
Seekings George, farmer
Simons William, beer retailer
Taylor John, farmer
Young Frederick, farmer Honey Farm HHo
Last Updated on: 9 April 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.