The following is a selection of books that may interest family history readers. Some are specifically about Banburyshire people and places; and some help to understand the way of life in times past that add flesh and colour to the skeleton of names and dates.
All contributions are welcome and can be sent to me, Rosemary If you have any photographs that can also be used to go with your review, please send them as well. Submissions may be edited at our discretion!
- M K Ashby : Joseph Ashby of Tysoe, 1859-1919 - A Study of English Village Life
- Banbury Historical Society : Banbury Past Through Artists' Eyes
- Alfred Beesley : The history of Banbury : including copious historical and antiquarian notices of the neighbourhood, 1841
- Maurice Cole : Thorpe Mandeville
- Andrew F. Fox : Eighty years a Claydonian and random lines and verses
- Dawn Griffis : Aynhoe Village Life. The Way it Was - Then - Before and Beyond
- George Herbert : The Shoemaker's Window
- Edited by Ian Huckin and written by members of the Banbury Area Mailing List :
Before I forget
I had almost forgotten!
I remember now!
And I remember this too!
- Ian Ralph Huckin : Simpler Then - From a Tot to a Teen in 1960's Oxfordshire
- D. A. Judd : Living in the Country - Life in Rural Northamptonshire from before the First World War
- Laurie Lee : Cider with Rosie
- Steve Humphries & Richard Van Emden : All Quiet on the Home Front
- E.B. Newbold : Portrait of Coventry
- Kevin Northover : Banbury during the Great War
- Alison Payne : with foreword by Sir Ranulph Fiennes, Upon a White Horse
- William Potts : Banbury in the Coaching Days
- William Cotton Risley : Extracts from the diaries of William Cotton Risley, Vicar of Deddington, 1836-1848 from the Banbury Historical Society (and surname index)
- Byron Rogers : The Green Lane to Nowhere - The life of an English Village
- Sheila Stewart : Lifting the Latch
- Sheila Stewart : Ramlin Rose: The Boatwoman's Story
- Flora Thompson : Lark Rise to Candleford
- Anne Williams : History of the Mothers Union in Adderbury
- Anne Williams : The Life and Times of William Francis 'Frank' Billing (1885-1979)
- Anne Williams : Our Ancestors of Bloxham, Oxfordshire
- Anne Williams : Wartime memories of the city of Coventry
- Anne Williams : Reverend William Fothergill Robinson, Vicar of Bloxham 1917-1922
- By famous broadcasters and writers : Handy Hints, 1954