A site designed for you to share your family history with others from the Banbury area
skip to links
- 500g Currants
- 500g Sultanas
- 500g Raisins
- (Or 1500g Mixed Fruit, but watch out for candy peel as it can be tough)
- 500g Soft Dark Brown Sugar (Molasses sugar works best)
- 250g Vegetable Suet
- 50g Chopped Almonds
- 50g Chopped Walnuts
- Zest and Juice of 1 Large Orange (add extra juice if the Orange is not very juicy)
- Zest and Juice of 1 Lime (or Lemon if you prefer)
- 3 tsp Mixed Spice
- Put all ingredients into a large bowl and mix together well. It will be a very dry mix at first. Do not add any extra juice at this stage.
- Keep covered in a cool place (just below room temperature). Stir every day for 5-7 days, or until all the juice and sugar has turned to syrup.
- Then you can add your own favourite tipple! Two large Brandies or Jack Daniels is perfect, or a glass of Sherry (Med or Dry – not sweet). Try the more exotic flavours like Southern Comfort or Cointreau for a change.
- Jar into clean sterilised jars, pushing down the mix with a spoon, to remove any air.
- Leave for at least a month to mature. 6 months is even better It will keep indefinitely in a cold store.