- May 1919
- At a public meeting on 31 March it was decided to have a monument in the Church or in the Church Porch.
- June 1919
- At a specially convened meeting on 20 May, it was decided that the memorial should be in the Churchyard
- August 1919
- The Memorial would be designed by Mr Smithin. It would be twelve feet 6 inches high and executed in Portland Stone. The cost would be about £230
- January 1920
- An apology for the delay
- March 1921
- A brass plaque commemorating those who died was erected through the instrumentality of Miss E B Hands.
- This plaque lists the names of those who died and is inscribed:
In Grateful Remembrance of the
Men of the Parish of Deddington
Who gave their lives
Great War 1914 : 1918
Rest Eternal grant to them O Lord
- Sunday 6 August 1922
- The War Memorial was unveiled by Major General Sir Robert Fanshawe KCB DSO
- It was Dedicated by: the Vicar of Deddington, Reverend Thomas Boniface and the Assistant Clergy and Rev. T Buckingham (Wesleyan) and Rev J Carter representing the Congregationalists
- The Memorial was executed by Messrs. Smithin and Cambray
- Major-General Sir Robert Fanshawe (1863-1946) was a soldier who was popular with his troops. He had commanded 48th (South Midland) Division on the Western Front and in Italy from 1915 until June 1918. His nickname with both officers and men was "Fanny" but he was also known as "The Chocolate Soldier" from his habit of handing out chocolate to troops coming out of the line.