Search billions of records on

St. Michael's Church Photos by
John Wilkes of Cam near Dursley, Gloucestershire
The Gloucestershire Photo Library:

Page composition by
Allan Taylor of Vancouver, Canada

St. Michael's is built mainly of good quality Cotswold stone from Smith's Cross Quarry on the Roman route of Ermin Street, nearby. The church has a wide Norman nave and chancel. and a small battlemented tower built circa 1500. The Early 12th C south doorway has a plain arch and tympanum. The south porch leading to this door is 14th C. The nave has a 13th C north doorway and a good wagon roof. The church was restored in 1883-84 by Waller, Son & Wood. The walls are limewashed. The font is 15th C and comprises a large octagonal bowl, each face decorated with two quatrefoils in square frames and with floral centres. The font has a buttressed base. There is stained glass in the church by James Powell & Sons, Morris & Co, and Kempe & Co. In the churchyard there are several 18th C chest tombs.