St. James is an Early Norman church preserving its original plan of chancel, nave and central tower. Original flat Norman buttresses and billeted stringcourses can be seen at the west and east end of the church exterior. The Norman tower has a narrower 15th C top stage. The church was restored in 1848; and later restored again in 1891-92, this time by Waller & Son. The tower was partially rebuilt in 1904-05 by William Weir. The font is a plain Norman tub-shaped bowl, later chamfered into eight roughly scalloped chamfers to fit the 15th C octagonal pedestal. There is stained glass in the church by Ward & Hughes, 1891.