Search billions of records on Ancestry.com



St. Nicholas Church Photos by
John Wilkes of Cam near Dursley, Gloucestershire
The Gloucestershire Photo Library

Page composition by Allan Taylor of Vancouver, Canada
http://www.allthecotswolds.com

St. Nicholas at Condicote is a small 12th Century church consisting of a nave and chancel only. It was drastically restored by J.E.K. & J.P. Cutts in 1888-89 at which time the West bellcote, South porch and North vestry were added, and all the plaster was scraped from the internal walls. The South doorway is richly ornamented. It has two orders of shafts with enriched scalloped capitals.
The inner moulding of the arch above this doorway has twisted cable and bead moulding, while the outer moulding has zigzag at right angles. The tympanum and lintel are diapered with stars.
Within the church, the stone-flagged floor is relieved with black ledger stones. The font appears to have been cut into its present octagonal shape from a circular bowl in the 15th Century.