St. Nicholas of Myra Church
Photos by
John Wilkes of Cam near Dursley, Gloucestershire
The Gloucestershire
Photo Library
:

Page composition by
Allan Taylor Vancouver, Canada
http://www.allthecotswolds.com

More photos of
St. Nicholas of Myra Church
The oldest part of St. Nicholas church is the very rare hexagonal tower. The plan of the tower is an irregular hexagon, the east wall being longer than the west. Blocked round-headed slit windows can be seen on the north-east and south-east sides. The upper stage, probably added circa 1150-1160, has a two-light window in each face, with a central shaft with voluted capital and cable-mould necking, set within an enclosing arch with hoodmould and chamfered abaci. Inside the church, the east wall has a round Norman chancel arch springing from the chamfered abaci. There is stained glass in the church by Clayton & Bell, 1874-76; and Joseph Bell, 1870. The font is early 13th C and comprises a circular bowl with a double torus moulding. Beneath the rim, there is a band of Transitional dogtooth; and a band of nailhead encircles the bottom. The font has a circular pedestal with four attached circular shafts. The churchyard, surrounded by a circular drystone wall, has some good 17th and 18th C chest tombs.
Ozleworth Park is a grand house, the south block representing the original building constructed in the late 18th C. It has an assymetrical two-storey south front with cornice with fluted frieze, and a three-windowed bow with a doorway with attached tuscan columns and pediment. The larger north portion of the house was built in 1821. Its ashlar facade is of two storeys and three wide bays. A large segmented west bow commands a spectacular view. The house is set in beautiful landscaped grounds comprising formal gardens and sweeping lawns.
RETURN TO MONTAGE INDEX