St. John the Evangelist Church
Photos by John Wilkes
of Cam near Dursley, Gloucestershire
The Gloucestershire
Photo Library
:


Page composition by
Allan Taylor
Vancouver, Canada
http://www.allthecotswolds.com
St. John's is a very good example of the Early Gothic style of the 13th C. The nave with its four-bay north and south aisles was built circa 1200. There are high quality foliage carvings on the capitals of the columns, and on the south doorway. The bold stiff-leaf ornament runs continuous up the jambs and over the round arch of the the south doorway. The piers of the arcades have a square core chamfered at the angles and four keeled shafts. The capitals are variously carved but have no necking. The west tower and spire and the chancel windows with geometrical tracery were added before 1300. The tower is of three stages with diagonal buttresses. It has a pierced parapet, pinnacles and a fine recessed spire. The church is largely faced with blocks of tufa stone and has a two-storey porch on the south side. There is a good collection of 14th C carved corbel heads in the aisle roofs. The font is a lead bowl, decorated with cherubs and roses and baluster motifs and is dated 1664. There is an inscribed clear glass window in the church dedicated to naturalist Sir Peter Scott who founded the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust, one of the major grounds of which is on the banks of the Severn nearby.
RETURN TO MONTAGE INDEX