Kelly's Directory 1895
Rosliston is a village and parish, smiles from Barton and Walton station on the Derby, Burton and Birmingham section of the Midland railway, 3 miles west from Gresley station, on the Burton and Leicester branch of the same line, 5 south from Burton, and 121 from London, in the southern division of the county, hundred of Repton and Gresley, petty sessional division of Swadlincote, Burton-upon-Trent union abd county court district, rural deanery of Repton, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St Mary teh Virgin is chiefly a modern building of grey sandstone, erected in 1819, and consisting of chancel, nave,south porch, and a western tower with spire, containing three bells, cast in 1778-79: This was from an early period a chapelry of Walton, and was undoubtedly the chapel referred to in the taxation roll of 1291: In 1818 application was made to Quarter Sessions for a brief for its repair and enlargement, and a brief being obtained it was rebuilt in the next year at a cost of £702 11s.: The tower and spire, however (not destroyed in this rebuilding), are of the first half of the 14th century: against the south wall is a mural monument to Barnabas BROUNE (1764) and his son, the Rev. Richard BROUNE, rector of Walton and Rosliston (1767): There are 50 sittings, all free. The register of Baptisms and burials dates from the year 1568 and marriages from 1570. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent charge £67 net yearly value £132, with 55 acres of Glebe, and residence, in the gift of Mrss. James SUTTON and the Rev. J. L. SUTTON, vicar of St Andrew's, Coventry and held since 1891 by the Rev. John VALLENCEY, of Moore College, Sydney University, N.S.W. There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel. Lieut.-Col. Charles MILLIGANof Cauldwell Hall, is the chief landowner. The soil varies; subsoil Gravel. The crops are chiefly wheat and barley. The area is 1,197 acres; rateable value £2,093; the population in 1891 was 448.
Parish Clerk, Henry WINKLESS
Post Office. ---Mrs. Mabel TRIMMINGS, sub-postmistress. Letters through Burton-upon-Trent arrive at 8.30am. Box cleared at 5,5pm on week days only. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. The nearest money order office is at Coton in the Elms; telegraph office at Linton.
Parochial School (mixed), erected in 1849, & added to in 1882, for 120 children; average attendance, 80; Thomas BALL, master; there is also a Sunday School.
VALLANCEY Rev. John Vicarage. BURTON William, Sen. Farmer ORDISH James, Blacksmith
Commercial COXON Elizabeth (Mrs.), Carrier PEACH Harry, Bull's Head P. H.
BACH Elizabeth (Mrs.), Shopkeeper DURANT Abraham, Carpenter SIMPKIN George, Farmer, Coton Park
BENNION John, farmer DURANT William, Boot maker TRIGGS George, Farmer, beehive
BENNETT William, farmer HASSALL Samuel, Farmer WHITE Thomas, farmer
BETTS Arthur, Farmer HEBB Joseph, Plough P. H. WRIGHT William, farmer
BOWEN David, farmer & baker KILBY Jospeh, Farmer WYATT George, Farmer