is a huge index of links to genealogy and family history sites that have
been collected over the last 10 years. There are more than 250,000 links on this
site, with the index divided into main categories and topics to help you find what
you are looking for.
- Measuring Worth - Calculate the relative value of a UK pound from 1270 to the present.
- Asplin Military History Resources
- Kevin Aplin's military history resources website of particular interest to those
interested in Victorian military history. There is also a complete index of nearly
40,000 names of 'The Men of the Imperial Yeomanry Lovats Scouts and Scottish Horse'
who fought in the Boer War (1899 - 1902).
- British Military & Criminal History (1900 - 1999)
- Stephen Stratford provides information on UK medals, remembrance, war crimes,
spying, courts martial and UK crime.
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- WWI and WWII memorial list for those that fought in these wars.
- Family History in India*
- Dedicated to people tracing their British, European and Anglo-Indian family
history in India, Burma, Pakistan and Bangladesh with lots of name indexes including
British Army Pensioners in India (1800 - 1857).
- Families in British India Society (FIBIS) - This website is dedicated to those researching their British India family history. Find out about ancestors living in India under British rule. Includes military records and passenger lists amongst others.
- Land Forces of Britain, the Empire and Commonwealth* - A wonderful site, hosted by T. F. Mills, containing a wealth of information on Military History.
- Roll of Honour
- A website decidated to those who have lost their lives fighting for their country
and includes information on numerous war memorials.
- The British Empire - Stephen Luscombe's side dedicated to analysing the history of the British Empire with some 20,000 pages.
- The Long, Long Trail
- A website about the British Army during the First World War.
- British Library Newspapers
- A national archives collection of British and overseas newspapers.
- Searchable indexes of the London, Belfast and Edinburgh Gazette newspapers online.
- South West England Genealogical Indexes*
- Many newspaper indexes transcribed by Paul Mansfield that include Watch and
Clockmakers, migrants from the West Country who joined Cardiff and Glamorgan
Police Force, to name but some. There are lots of names for Devon, so worth a look!
Occupations & Professions
- Brewing History Resources
- A website dedicated to the history of the brewery trade, with a glossary of brewing terminology.
- British Coastguards and their Families
- An index of British coastguards and their families provided by Stan Wright and contributors.
- Brixham Heritage Sailing Trawlers Archive
- An archive of Sailing Trawlers that were Registered in Brixham searchable by by boat name or number, owner or skipper.
- GENUKI's Occupation Lists
- Providing links to information about numerous occupations.
- Historical Directories of England & Wales
- Provided by the University of Leicestershire, this website is a digital library of
historical local and trade directories for England and Wales covering the period 1750 to 1919.
- Old Occupations - Rodney Hall's index of old occupations.
- Ranks, Professions, Occupations & Trades
- John Hitchcock's index of ranks, professions, occupations and trades.
- Stone & Quarrymen of the West Country
- A genealogical index of masons, quarrymen, builders and carpenters and related occupations for Devon and Cornwall.
- The Blacksmiths Index
- Ann Spiro's genealogical index of blacksmiths and related occupations.
- The Workhouse
- Peter Higginbotham's fascinating site dedicated to Workhouses.
- UK Fairground Ancestors
- Showman, circus and fairground travellers.
Note: Websites* marked with an asterix are no longer "live" on the internet or maintained and have been archived by the [Way Back Machine]. Information is generally still accessible, although some links or email addresses may no longer be available.